Oakland's Jharel Cotton (elbow) to undergo Tommy John surgery
Oakland Athletics starter Jharel Cotton will undergo Tommy John surgery, Melissa Lockard of The Athletic reports.
Cotton was expected to be a key part of the Athletics' 2018 rotation, but that will have to wait at least a year. The 26-year-old was initially diagnosed with a strained UCL in his right throwing elbow and a second opinion confirmed the need for surgery. He'll miss the entire 2018 season and could be questionable for the start of the 2019 campaign.
In 2017, Cotton went 9-10 with a 5.68 FIP in 24 starts and 129 innings.
- Ben Gamel dealt to Milwaukee on Friday by Seattle December 21st, 2018
- Mariners acquire Domingo Santana from Milwaukee December 21st, 2018
- Kyle Farmer headed to Cincinnati in seven-player trade December 21st, 2018
- Dodgers move Yasiel Puig to Cincinnati on Friday December 21st, 2018
- Alex Wood traded to Cincinnati in seven-player deal December 21st, 2018
- Cincinnati Reds acquire outfielder Matt Kemp in multi-player trade on Friday December 21st, 2018
- Jonathan Lucroy starting behind the plate on Wednesday in the Wild Card Game October 3rd, 2018
- Josh Phegley not starting for Oakland in the Wild Card Game October 3rd, 2018
- Liam Hendriks to be A's 'opener' in Wild Card Game on Wednesday October 2nd, 2018
- Athletics' Ramon Laureano drops to seven-hole Sunday September 30th, 2018
- Mark Canha on Athletics' bench Sunday afternoon September 30th, 2018
- Matt Olson returns to Athletics' lineup Sunday September 30th, 2018