Oakland's Jharel Cotton (elbow) to undergo Tommy John surgery
Oakland Athletics starter Jharel Cotton will undergo Tommy John surgery, Melissa Lockard of The Athletic reports.
Cotton was expected to be a key part of the Athletics' 2018 rotation, but that will have to wait at least a year. The 26-year-old was initially diagnosed with a strained UCL in his right throwing elbow and a second opinion confirmed the need for surgery. He'll miss the entire 2018 season and could be questionable for the start of the 2019 campaign.
In 2017, Cotton went 9-10 with a 5.68 FIP in 24 starts and 129 innings.
- David Freese in the lineup for Pittsburgh on Wednesday April 25th, 2018
- Jose Osuna gets starting nod on Wednesday for Pirates April 25th, 2018
- Elias Diaz in Pittsburgh's Wednesday night lineup April 25th, 2018
- Sean Rodriguez leading off for Pirates on Wednesday night April 25th, 2018
- Max Moroff starting on Wednesday for Pittsburgh April 25th, 2018
- James McCann sitting out second leg of Tigers' double-header April 25th, 2018
- Jonathan Lucroy on Athletics' bench against Rangers April 25th, 2018
- Bruce Maxwell behind the plate for Oakland on Wednesday April 25th, 2018
- Chad Pinder out of Athletics' lineup on Wednesday April 25th, 2018
- Matt Joyce starting, leading off for Athletics on Wednesday April 25th, 2018
- Stephen Piscotty slides down to eighth in Athletics' lineup on Tuesday April 24th, 2018
- Chad Pinder moves up to two-hole for Athletics on Tuesday April 24th, 2018