Oakland's Jharel Cotton (elbow) to undergo Tommy John surgery
Oakland Athletics starter Jharel Cotton will undergo Tommy John surgery, Melissa Lockard of The Athletic reports.
Cotton was expected to be a key part of the Athletics' 2018 rotation, but that will have to wait at least a year. The 26-year-old was initially diagnosed with a strained UCL in his right throwing elbow and a second opinion confirmed the need for surgery. He'll miss the entire 2018 season and could be questionable for the start of the 2019 campaign.
In 2017, Cotton went 9-10 with a 5.68 FIP in 24 starts and 129 innings.
- Padres-Phillies postponed Saturday due to rain, doubleheader scheduled for Sunday July 21st, 2018
- Mitch Garver sitting for Twins versus Royals July 21st, 2018
- Twins' Jake Cave starting on Saturday July 21st, 2018
- Curt Casali starting for Reds on Saturday July 21st, 2018
- Sandy Leon on Boston's bench versus Detroit July 21st, 2018
- John Hicks in lineup on Saturday for Tigers July 21st, 2018
- Athletics' Chad Pinder not starting on Friday July 20th, 2018
- Dustin Fowler batting eighth for Oakland on Friday July 20th, 2018
- Oakland's Khris Davis batting cleanup on Friday July 20th, 2018
- Jonathan Lucroy catching for the Athletics on Sunday July 15th, 2018
- Jed Lowrie returns to the Athletics' lineup on Sunday July 15th, 2018
- Oakland's Chad Pinder moves up to second in the batting order on Sunday July 15th, 2018